3/4 tsp Citric Acid
1/6 tsp Rennet or 1/4 tablet rennet
1/2 Gallon Raw Milk
1 quart of Organic Half and Half
Stainless steel ladle and slotted spatula
Cheese Cloth (optional)
Large Pan for heating and mixing
- Dissolve rennet into 1/2 cup cool water. Stir and set aside
- mix 3/4 tsp citric acid in 1/2 cup cool water until dissolved
- pour milk into a stainless steel pot. Mix in the citric acid solution and stir throughly.
- Heat slowly to 90 degrees F. Stirring slowly.
- At 90 degrees stir in the rennet solution with a gentle back and forth motion for about 30 seconds. Slowly continue to heat to 105 degrees
- your curds will start to show coagulation. They should look like shiny yogurt.
- Ladle off the curds and set aside and continue to slowly heat to no more than 110 degrees. If you go to quickly the curds will burn and become grainy
- With the curds off to the side continue to heat the remaining whey to as high as 185 degrees.
- Ladle this water over your curds in small amounts to heat your cheese to allow you to stretch it. (keep a mixing bowl of cool water to cool your hands so you do not get burned as you stretch your cheese)
- Gently shape the curds into balls and set aside.
- This is a great video for learning to make perfect mozzarella
- Sprinkle your cheese with flakey salt- cover with some cool water and refrigerate. Use in 3-5 days.